Long-term residency rules in Italy can be quite difficult, sometimes requiring years to get a Long Term Residency Visa.
If you are a non-European community citizen you will require a visa to stay in Italy more than 3 months out of every six months. There are also specific requirements when you arrive that require your immediate action (within 9 days) to be in compliance with your Visa.
New residents often run into a variety of issues as they try to deal with initial residency requirements. Things that seem simple – like finding doctors and the right local officials for visa and paperwork requirements – can often be quite frustrating and difficult if you don’t speak Italian.
Visa Details for Long Term Stays
Requirements for Long-Term Stays
- No visa is required for a maximum 3 month stay in Italy – but you must exit the European community for at least 3 months between each cumulative 3 month stay.
- Many Expats rent for 3 months then leave for 3 months to avoid needing a visa.
- Any longer term stay requires a visa from the Italian Embassy for your home residence outside Italy. You cannot apply for a visa while in Italy.
- You must have a signed lease for a residence in Italy to apply for a visa.
- When you arrive in Italy with a visa for a long-term stay you have only 8 days to apply to local officials for a residence permit.
Types of Visas
If you’re a non-EU national who wants to be in Italy for more than three months, you’re going to need a long-stay Visa. The most common types of Italian long-stay visas are:
- Work Visa – available to foreign nationals who want to move to Italy to engage in salaried work. You already need to have a job in Italy before you can apply.
- Study Visa – which students over 18 who are already enrolled in an Italian educational institution can apply for.
- Self-Employed Visa – which is available to entrepreneurs who wish to open a business or self-employed individuals wanting to work in Italy.
- Italian Retirement Visa – which is available to those persons who can financially support themselves without working in Italy.
Get all the details here (opens in a new window or page):
NEW OFFER: Luxury Penthouse in Umbria
Cookie and Privacy Settings
Click on the different category headings to find out more. You can also change some of your preferences. Note that blocking some types of cookies may impact your experience on our websites and the services we are able to offer.
These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with services available through our website and to use some of its features.
We provide you with a list of stored cookies on your computer in our domain so you can check what we stored. Due to security reasons we are not able to show or modify cookies from other domains. You can check these in your browser security settings.
We also use different external services like Google Webfonts, Google Maps, and external Video providers. Since these providers may collect personal data like your IP address we allow you to block them here. Please be aware that this might heavily reduce the functionality and appearance of our site. Changes will take effect once you reload the page.
Google Webfont Settings:
Google Map Settings:
Google reCaptcha Settings:
Vimeo and Youtube video embeds: